18 October 2009

Rencontre de Chorales, La Châtre

In the church in La Châtre; Eglise St Germain de La Châtre, we overheard a choir competition today, called Rencontre des Chorales.
This is a recurring event in this town and in other towns too.

This competition consists of choirs from different towns in Berry who gather to compete in order to win a trophy.

For once I must say I was disappointed. The quality of these choirs did not please my ear.
As a Swede I'm used to a very high quality when it comes to choral singing and this is due to a long and vivid tradition of collective singing and also related to the great interest Swedes find in singing together like this.

Maybe this has to do with the collective mind of the Swede.
Although Swedes can be very individualistic at some levels, the possibility to hide in a group is, in my opinion, the over all sign of a Swede.

According to the information I've found there are around 600 000 choral- or choir singers in Sweden - amateurs- or/and professionals comprised.

Back to the choirs tonight.
The choir I found least bad - I'm sorry to say so but this is true - won.
The choir Aurore found least bad came in second place!
I won!

There are a lot of work to be done in order to ameliorate the quality of chorales both in this region and - I think - in France as a whole.
I've heard other church chorals from France (in French television) and I'm sorry to say that they didn't make me want to run to the next choir competition or church concert!
Maybe it's better when it comes to more professional choirs?

No comments: