19 December 2010

Harry Potter and the Deatly Hallows, part 1


I'm not sure but I think that this is the fourth Harry Potter-film we see, me and Aurore and none of us have been particularly impressed neither by the story as such - as far as we know it, not having read the books - nor by the adaptation for the movies.
Of course there are a lot of 'fantastic' material in this film as well as in the others but the story doesn't 'shake us to the ground'.
I also find that the mixture between now and then, between a more cinematographically, geographically and socially 'realistic' setting and the beyond our here and now reality, doesn't work out so well.
If I compare with the Narnia films, I think the two-sided, realities, divided by a wardrobe door makes the story much more fantastic as the young heroes can leave their 'real' reality behind and enter the surreal reality in full.
In Harry Potter I find the story somewhat incoherent when it comes to the different characters, their powers and weaknessess, there relations and the origin of their conflicts.
This might be due to the fact - as stated above - that I haven't read the books and not even seen all the films.
Even if I like Ralph Fiennes very much as an actor, I don't find his interpretation of Voldemort being sufficiently scary, even though he uses a 'whispering' voice in order to sound intimidating.

We found the film being a couple of hours good entertainment but not more.

No comments: